Sunday, 18 August 2013

Crayon Art

As part of my classroom revamp I dabbled with a great idea I came across, called 'Melted Crayon Art'. I made a sign for my new class reading area.


Its very simple to make and cost me absolutely nothing as I had all the materials lying around. You will need:
  • Crayons
  • Canvas or boards
  • A hot glue gun
  • Hairdryer
  • Cardboard/foil to make font templates

I had this giant box of crayola crayons laying around from when I was a kid (preserved as a result of my OCD habits as a child).






Decide on the order you want your colours. Find out how many you need to cover your area. My boards were small so I only used 12 per board. I then made a template out of contact for each letter. This failed terribly as the heat from the hair dryer melted the letters and they curled. I think cardboard or foil would work. I ended up sticking cardboard cutout letters on afterward.

Use the hot glue gun to stick them along the top of the board. Use your hair dryer to melt the crayons, allowing the colours to run down and mix. Make sure you cover your area in newspaper as the melted crayons pool and make a huge mess.


Mrs Possum

No comments:

Post a Comment